home about archive

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Title: Walking Disaster

Author: Jamie McGuire

Publisher: Atria Books

Publication Date: April 2013

Genre: Young Adult/Adult (New Adult) Realistic Fiction

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book Two


Synopsis can be found here.
NetGalley review.


Review:

Beautiful Disaster, Book One, ended and I have been looking forward to reading Walking Disaster ever since. It's not a sequel, but more of a companion novel as the same events are told through Travis's eyes.
I am one of the people who enjoyed Beautiful Disaster and thought this would be just another romantic and heartbreaking ride.

Sadly, I did not care for Walking Disaster.

I'm pretty open to companion books. I like the idea of seeing different things through other character's point of view. I enjoy re-reading books so to say that I may have enjoyed it less because I knew what was going to happen already is a thin excuse. This edition added nothing to Travis and Abby's story. If anything, I felt badly when it was over because of how little I liked them through the book.

Going into W
alking Disaster, you already have a sense of Travis. Wounded, lashing out, short tempered Travis who goes through a big change through Book One. Book One we see how Abby is conflicted, how she falls in love with Travis, how she struggles with herself and her past.

In Walking Disaster, Abby comes across as an emotionally unstable girl whose love and attention swing so far back and forth, it's a wonder I liked Abby at all! Without that added layer to Abby, she is too one dimensional and not very sympathetic. On the other hand, Travis's narration is what really put me off. While some of the motivations for his actions are a little bit more clear, overall Travis comes across as a selfish, insecure brat who throws tantrums. The mystery is lifted and I don't like what I see.

The romance lacked luster and heart this time around and I found myself skimming halfway through the book.

Overall, if you liked Beautiful Disaster, then check out Walking Disaster, at least to satisfy your curiosity.

Rating 4 Not My Cup of Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment