home about archive

Monday, March 19, 2012

Book Review: Slide by Jill Hathaway

Title: Slide

Author: Jill Hathaway

Publisher: Balzer + Bray

Publication Date: March 2012

Genre: Young Adult Realistic Fiction/Sci-Fi

Series or Stand Alone: Stand Alone



Synopsis can be found here.


NetGalley review.

Review:
I loved the idea of Slide. Vee suffers from narcolepsy, and when she falls from her world, she is inserted into someone else's body, depending on what the last thing she touched. Objects that hold emotions emit a certain kind of energy, and if Vee has touched this right before she has an episode, she slides into that person's body for a while.

But when she slides and finds herself holding a knife over a girl's body, she knows her sister's friend Sophie didn't kill herself. How can she find who did?

Slide is entertaining, dark and edgy. I liked the way the story unfolded. Vee is a unique character. I enjoyed her struggles with opening up and trusting people. Her personal baggage was its own hurdle to overcome and that made her feel more human to me. She's an outcast, used to be popular but now on the sidelines, watching her sister taking her place as cheerleader. Vee's sharpness makes her more likable though. The entire plot of Slide is fun. It started out a little slow, but after a couple of chapters, I was fully invested in the characters and the story.

The murder mystery was fun and not so easy to figure out. A couple of times during the story, I sat up and thought - "aHa! I see!" only to find myself completely wrong a chapter or two later. All of the characters were well crafted, none of them being cookie-cutter stereotypes. All had elements of dark and light, secrets of good and evil. I liked how I had to keep guessing not only who the murderer was, but also who Vee's real friends were.

When the ending and murderer is finally revealed, I was satisfied with the twists and turns the story made to come to that conclusion. But I wasn't completely satisfied with the motives behind the crime. As everything fell into place, I felt like the ending was rushed and would have liked more explanation.


I still enjoyed the journey through the maze.

Rating 7 Pretty Cool Would Recommend

2 comments: