home about archive

Monday, May 21, 2012

Book Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Title: Dark Kiss

Author: Michelle Rowen

Publisher: Harlequinn Teen

Publication Date: May 2012

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Fiction

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book One

Synopsis can be found here.
NetGalley review.

Review:

Can we just talk about the cover?? Gorgeous! The sky blue that seeps darker as the city scape rises in the background. And of course the hunky model with his torn black wings. Definate eye candy for sure!

Oh yeah, the book. I digress.

Samantha is a very normal girl. She likes boys, they don't like her back. She gets good grades. She has a best friend. She's not super popular but she's not totally picked on either. So she's very very surprised when an older boy, who is back from college, sees her in the club an wants to kiss her, telling her this kiss will change everything. This kiss will change her life.
And it really does.

Because this boy has done something to Samantha, and now Samantha is thrown into a world where angels and demons fight and kill the things that she has become.
Enter Bishop, a confused street boy she wants to help. Or so she thought. Bishop is actually an angel, sent here on a task. But first thing first, he must find the other angels and demons that will help him on his quest. And the only person who can help him is- Samantha.

I loved this story. I was reading it so fast, I had to go back a few times and re-read everything because I was so excited to know what was going to happen next. I even went out and bought a whole other series of Michelle Rowen books. (shh, don't tell hubby)

Samantha is a very likeable character. She is smart and strong, asking questions, doesn't take no for an answer. Yeah she does some stupid stuff, but she's a teenager and let's face it. I have never gotten my soul sucked out of me by a kiss, or at least I don't think I have. So I don't want to judge.

Bishop is dreamy, as all angels on a quest should be. He may remind me of a good, with an evil past seeking redemption vampire I know and love. There are hints of sadness, anger and kick ass under Bishop's sweet exterior and I can't wait to know more about him.
Enter Kraven, a demon on the mission with Bishop who shares a history with Bishop that no one can imagine. Kraven's quick quit, snarky comments and all around bad boy attitude made me love him too. Oh, what a wonderful way to be torn.

The story is fast and furious. Rowen has thrown a lot of information into this world, and it slowly seeps out through the story, giving the reader just enough info to keep me on my toes. I loved the twists and turns I didn't see coming. I loved the dynamic between Samantha and Bishop and Bishop and Samantha and Kraven.

I mean, I love this book. I might have to buy it in hardcover.
Yeah, the story is awesome and the cover to match.
What more can you ask for?

Rating: 9, Awesome like Cookies and Ice Cream

1 comment:

  1. i was on the fence about this one but i guess i will have to get it now. sounds kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete