home about archive

Friday, February 1, 2013

Review: Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder

Title: Scent of Magic

Author: Maria V. Snyder

Publisher: Harlequin Mira

Publication Date: December 2012

Genre: Young Adult Fiction/Fantasy

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book Two

Synopsis can be found here.
NetGalley review.

Review:

This review will contain spoilers from book one so be warned!

On the run, and happily under the radar, Avry has a new mission. She must find her sister Noelle, help save the kingdoms from Tohon and place herself in greater danger than she's ever known.

I don't want to give away too much but let's just say it's such a great read.

Full of twists and turns, I followed Avry and Kerrick closely, each on their own path. No one is safe and our main characters face dangers like they have never seen, including Tohon's army of walking dead, and the threat that he will make everyone into them.

The book moves fast, even faster than book one. So much so I had to re-read certain parts. There's pain, grief, love and betrayal. The ending is full of surprises, good and bad. And what a cliffhanger!

My only nudge was the constant back and forth between Kerrick and Avry. Avry's story is still in first person narrative, and Kerrick's storyline is told in third person. It was a bit jarring going back and forth. I understand why we saw both story lines, and Kerrick and Avry are apart for most of the book, but every time we jumped back, it took me out of the story. I would have liked maybe third person through the whole book, just to even out the flow? That's my only real gripe.

I wanted to call in sick to work so bad! The days were longer and I couldn't wait to get home and read.
A solid addition to this series. I can't wait until Book Three.

Rating: 8 Cookie Worthy

No comments:

Post a Comment