home about archive

Monday, August 1, 2011

Book Review: Naked In Death by J. D. Robb

Title: Naked In Death

Author: J. D. Robb

Publisher: Berkley

Publication Date: July 1995

Genre: Adult Mystery Fiction

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book One
Synopsis can be found here.

Review:
Eve Dallas, a police Lieutenant in a futuristic New York City, hunts the killer of a beautiful socialite and gets more than she bargained for. The first book in this beloved and looong series, 32 books and counting, introduces us to the main group of characters that will continue on through the series and grow in our hearts.

J. D. Robb, a pen name for Nora Roberts, writes this mystery series very well. It was recommended to me from a lover of Nora Roberts and having read Nora Roberts before, I thought I would give it a try. I was not let down.  Eve’s world and her voice is sound. She is a strong, takes-no-prisoners character who not only fights crime, but has also her own inner demons every day. I can’t say Eve is likeable, in this first book especially. But be patient. Her character grows with the series.

While investigating this case, she meets the undeniably sexy Roarke, who <gasp!> happens to be a suspect. Handsome and mysterious, Roarke becomes fascinated with Eve also and well, things get…Heated. Irish, rich and very very male, he is the quintessential romance male lead in those Harlequin paperbacks you see in the drugstores. But that doesn’t mean he’s flat. Roarke is a multi dimensional character who I rooted for during the entire book. (Please don’t let him be the killer, please don’t let him be the killer)

This first book hooked me onto the series so bad, I went out and bought the remaining books in the series. Make no mistakes -while this is probably found in your local bookstores’ mystery section, the best parts of the book are the sweet, patient scenes between Roarke and Eve.  And this is where Robb/Roberts shine.

A fun, romantic thriller mystery book. Easy to read. Likeable characters. Lots of chemistry.

Go on! You know you want to.


Rating: 9 Ridiculously Awesome like Cookies and Ice Cream


3 comments:

  1. Kim, firstly, the blog is awesome. I really dig "the windy pages" logo: the font is really cool and I like the old-school typewriter buttons look of the "T" "W" and "P" though I know those aren't typewriter buttons (what are they? I must know!). I'm gonna check back often since every book you've recommended has been a goody.

    Secondly, I looked up Nora Roberts cuz the name sounded familiar and I came upon a pdf of her entire bibliography. Holy wow! She writes like 45 books a year, and according to her Wiki, she writes so much that her publisher compelled her to create the J.D. Robb pseudonym just so they could release as much as she produces. Insane!

    Now my questions: did you buy all 31 other books in the series? And given the high mark you've given this first book in the series, do you think the series will be able to sustain that quality? I've never heard of a book series that long so I am very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan!
    Glad you liked the review.
    Please feel free to hit the follow button so you can follow all my reviews!

    Nora Roberts is generally a romance writer. She is prolific! I enjoy her romance writing, but her mystery "In Death" series is very good. I'm up to book 13 and while some aren't as amazing for me, the majority of them are fun. Especially the first and second ones.

    Be warned! There is a bit of romance in this, but I think it just adds to the entertainment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review and I totally agree. I LOVE Eve and Roarkes relationship. I've read like 13ish by now and they are so good. I like the Crimes and balance with the relationships and side characters. My favorite parts of the series are the cases that are personal. Like cases that make Eve relive her past, and the dynamic of how well Roarke gets her. I love Galahad and Summersault too

    ReplyDelete