home about archive

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Review: The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington

Title: The Dead and Buried

Author: Kim Harrington

Publisher: Scholastic

Publication Date: January 2013

Genre: Young Adult Ghost Story/Paranormal

Series or Stand Alone: Stand Alone


Synopsis can be found here.
NetGalley review:

Review



Jade loves her new house, her big, beautiful and spacious new house. She is excited to start her new school, make new friends. But all of that is wiped away from mysterious things start happening in her new house. When she finds out a girl her age died in her house the year before, Jade has a sneaking suspicion her house may be haunted. And it's confirmed in the most terrifying way.
Her ghost was killed and wants to know who killed her. Now Jade must do everything she can to find the killer. A killer who goes to her school. A killer who may kill again.

Harrington's books are always fun for me. Creepy, sending a light shiver up the spine, I usually sit for hours inhaling the stories she writes. This is no exception.

Jade is a typical teenager who finds herself in a very dangerous position. I love her relationship to her half brother. It's obvious why Jade is fighting for him and why she loves him so much. I really enjoy her relationship to her step mother too. It's strained to say the least, but with all of Harrington's characters, there's more than meets the eye.

Donovan is cute, broody art boy extraordinaire, but sadly, I felt like there was something lacking in his character. He didn't pull me in and the romance between him and Jade seemed lackluster for me. While Jade is an ok character, I can't say I liked her. Her and Donovan didn't really stand out for me on their own or together.

What I really enjoyed was the story. Part ghost story, part mystery, I liked the second guessing. For a while, I had no idea who the killer was and I kept flip flopping back and forth. This book is a fun, fast mystery with a good edge of creepiness.

Rating 7 Pretty Cool, Would Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment