home about archive

Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: Shadow Woman by Linda Howard

Title: Shadow Woman

Author: Linda Howard

Publisher: Ballantine Books

Publication Date: January 2013

Genre: Adult Romance/Suspense

Series or Stand Alone: Stand Alone



Synopsis can be found here.
NetGalley review.

Review:

Lizette Henry wakes up to find that she doesn't recognize her self anymore. That, and the fact that two full years have been wiped clean from her memory makes her panic. Where did those two years go? And why does she suddenly feel paranoid, like someone is watching her, listening to her, trailing her car? Lizette doesn't know and feels like she might be going crazy. That is until she is almost killed. Now Lizette has to run, hide, and figure out her past before it catches up to her.

I'm a Linda Howard fan. Some of her books are dead on, leaving me laughing and hungry for more. So I was totally stoked to get this book early from NetGalley to do a review. Sadly, it doesn't live up to some of my Linda Howard favorites of the past, but it's still a pretty good romantic suspense story.

Lizette is an ok heroine. We meet her in a weakened state when she is trying to figure everything out so she's not exactly in finest form. But ok, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and go on the ride.
I thought the scenes of her figuring everything out, running from everyone and hiding were a little over the top. Obviously she had training, but she was constantly second guessing herself and her choices. It's like- honey, you obviously were trained for something. Go with it!

Xavier is smart, deadly and dangerous. It's unclear whose side he's working for, and what this big secret and the people hunting Liztte are up to. Xavier is there as the romantic hero lead and while he lives up to romantic alpha male standards, he isn't very interesting to me. Cookie cutout of hot, romance male, insert here.

I'll be honest, I wasn't crazy about Lizette or Xavier and that made the hot sexy scenes a little blase.

The overall story was interesting and there were some good surprises towards the end. But I'm sad to say I didn't love this one. Linda Howard fans will probably gobble it up though so don't overlook it!

And if you are interested in reading Linda Howard, might I recommend "After The Night" or "To Die For". Fabulous.

Rating 4 Not My Cup of Tea

1 comment:

  1. i have this in my ng queue, too. i am a little apprehensive but you know i love linda howard. sad you didn't love it but still excited to give it a try.

    after the night!!! :)

    ReplyDelete