home about archive

Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz

Title: The Mistress

Author: Tiffany Reisz

Publisher: Harlequin Mira

Publication Date: July 3013

Genre: Adult Erotica/Romance

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book Four


Synopsis can be found here.
NetGalley review.

Review:

Nora is in a pickle.
Trapped, bound, and not in a fun way.
She's being held captive by.. I won't say it. But the only way to stay alive is to weave stories. Of herself, Kingsley, Soren. To tell the truth. And hope she can rescue herself, before her stories run out.

I am not going to give anything away but I will say - DAMN.
The final book in this part of the series, The Mistress grabs you by the... um, hand? and doesn't let go. Reisz tells the story, adds the suspense, creates the love and by the end, you sit there, book in your lap, still not sure how it all came together.
I love Nora. I love Soren. I love Wes and Kingsley and well, just about everyone.

I have to say, while I wasn't entirely happy with the endings of some of the characters, I am still oddly satisfied. They went where they had to, did what they had to, and moved on. 
The dialogue is sharp and can be laugh out loud funny. I love Nora's sharp wit and clever comebacks.

There is a lot of reliving the same memories, the same stories. Part of it is Nora's retelling, but another part I feel like is about getting the reader back in the world with everything that has happened. That's fine and all, but sometimes it was a strong sense of deja vu.

Without giving anything away, I will say that Soren's niece, Laila, makes an appearance. Through her eyes, we see Nora and Soren as they were to a young child, her uncle and aunt. And while she added some great POV and narration, I'm not sold on her. The rest of the characters are so lively, so technicolor, so alive. Maybe if we had more time to get to know dear Laila, I would feel differently. But her path through the book, especially the ending!!, left me feeling frustrated. No Laila, I don't like you enough or know you well enough for you to deserve that ending.

Overall, The Mistress is a strong close to this fascinating erotica series. 
Reisz has planted herself firmly in my FAVORITE WRITERS list and I will buy anything she writes. 

Rating 9 Awesome like Cookies and Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment