home about archive

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Review: Right of Way by Lauren Barnholdt

Title: Right of Way

Author: Lauren Barnholdt

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Publication Date: July 2013

Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Fiction

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book Two




Synopsis can be found here.
Edelweiss review.

Review:

Peyton and Jace see each other again at a wedding in Florida. It's awkward to say the least. They have a history together, and Peyton just wants to run away to North Carolina. So she can forget what is happening at home. So she can forget what went on between her and Jace.
But destiny has other plans and before they know it, they're on a road trip to bring Peyton back home. Or at least, that's where Jace thinks he's driving her. It's hard for him as Peyton is the only girl that has ever broken his heart.
And he has a feeling that things are far from over between them...

I really enjoyed Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt so I was excited to read this book. I haven't read Two Way Street yet, but you don't need to read that in order to enjoy Right of Way.

Right of Way is a fun, light read. The narration alternates between Peyton's voice and Jace's voice, each recounting their past experiences with each other and switching back to the present and the road trip. I really liked Jace's voice. He's a bit harsh, conflicted but not overly angsty or tormented.

Peyton, on the other hand, is dramatic for both of them. I'm sorry to say I didn't like her character, most of the time I wanted to slap her. She's too whiney, spoiled, bratty. Even after her circumstances are laid out, I don't understand what Jace saw in her. She's beautiful, smart and wow, yeah, did I mention overly dramatic and a big old brat?

And I think that was the thing that bothered me about the book. Even though Jace and Peyton's voices are strong and clear, I had a hard time understanding where the attraction was. And by the time the reader is let in on what happened between them in their past, it's isn't as huge as one might think. (That said, in Peyton's defense, I totally understand her side of this. Jace's excuse was lame.)

I really enjoyed the alternating voices and going from past to present. It kept me really interested in the story. I read this book in one day, it flows easily and is perfect for the beach or a light summer read.

Rating 6 Good

No comments:

Post a Comment