home about archive

Monday, January 23, 2012

Book Review: Tempest by Julie Cross

Title: Tempest

Author: Julie Cross

Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Publication Date: January 2012

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Fiction

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book One


Synopsis can be found here.
Netgalley review.

Review:

If you love time travel, and your head is in no danger of exploding, Tempest is a fun, fast read! Jackson, our narrator, discovers he can jump through time. Not a big jump, only by a couple of days at the most. And even though he may change things in the past, it doesn't seem to really affect his future. Does it?

One day, under duress, Jackson does the unimaginable. He jumps not a few days, but a couple of years into the past. And now can't get back. Time is running out, a group of unknowns are hunting him and he has to get back to his present day. Because his girlfriend Holly is in danger, and Jackson may have just left her to die.

I love books about time travel and this one is no exception. Cross's new take is fresh and changes the rules. Forget everything you think you know about time travel. Yes, you'll have to read that explanation again. Yep. It's ok. I did too.
But once you get the hang of it, it is pretty awesome.

There are some moments of real danger when I couldn't put the book down, reading long into the night. (Did I mention I am a morning person and have a relatively strict bedtime?) While a few of the explanations/big reveals weren't quite what I hoped for, I wasn't disappointed either. Just go with it. It's time travel. Anything can happen.

Jackson is a likeable character. I totally fell into his world easily. That said, his voice seems a lot older than a nineteen year old boy. I feel like he could have been in his mid twenties at least. He doesn't exhibit a lot of teenage behavior, besides some general intimacy issues.
I am left a little cold by Holly, but I hope we get to see more of her character in the future novels. There's nothing wrong with her, but there's nothing interesting about her either. She's the pretty, supportive, kept-in-the-dark girlfriend who Jackson has to save. I want more personality, more umph from Holly. I hope her character develops more in book two.

Do you know who is awesome though? Jackson's dad. I won't reveal any spoilers, but you can bet that Jackson's dad is a major part of the book. And he is my favorite character!

Overall, Tempest is a wonderful ride. It's already been picked up by Summit Entertainment and no wonder, the book moves in such a way there's no mistaking the potential for a film. One note- cover love. I love the dark clouds, the faceless figures flying through the sky, trying to reach each other. The pink lettering of the title against the grey sky. Striking.

Go read the book before the film.


Rating 7 Pretty Cool Would Recommend

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I had no idea that a movie is already in the works. I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this book as a prize in a lot of giveaways so I was glad to see a review. Time travel isn't really my thing but this does sound pretty interesting. Maybe I will enter some of the giveaways that is offering this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I wasn't sure I wanted to read this one. But I have good things about it and I really think I am going to give it a try. And I know if it is going to be a movie I really want to read the book before it comes out.

    ReplyDelete