home about archive

Friday, April 27, 2012

Book Review: Wrecked by Anna Davies

Title: Wrecked

Author: Anna Davies

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Publication Date: May 2012

Genre: Young Adult Fantasy/Fiction

Series or Stand Alone: Stand Alone

Synopsis can be found here.

Review:
Let's talk about the cover first. Gorgeous. I love the silver foam of the bubbles, the glowing scales along the model's body, the shadowed profile of Miranda. If I saw this in the bookstore, I woudl stop and pick it up.
That said, I'm intrigued by mermaid tales. I have yet to find one that really speaks to me. After reading this synopsis I hoped it would be this one. Sadly, I was mistaken.

Miranda has lived on the island for most of her life, but when a tragic accident occurs to her and her friends, the life she knows it ends. Devasted, she retreats from her classmates and school, only to meet a boy on the beach, Christian, who isn't from this world.

I loved the setting of the novel. Whym Island's tone and feeling is special, the water, the ships, and the superstitions of the sea witch, who takes souls and stirs up storms just because she can.
Miranda was a little whiny for me, but I cut her some slack. She had just been through a huge ordeal and her school life was anything but warm and welcoming. Christian is the much more interesting character but he seemed a bit hollow to me. I wanted more of his voice, his struggles. There's not a lot of backstory or time under the sea, so I didn't understand why above was so enticing.

Most of the book was fun to read. Slow waves building speed as the story picked up. But the endign left a lot to be desired. Too many questions went unanswered, and how did everyone realize what was going on? There was no big aha! moment, no revelation. All of a sudden, the word was out. I felt like scenes must have been cut.

Overall, Wrecked is a sleepy. slow building novel with a lot of promise, but turns to foam on the water instead.

Rating 3 Rasins. No, Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment