home about archive

Monday, April 2, 2012

**Romance Report: A Tryst With Trouble by Alyssa Everett


Title: A Tryst With Trouble

Author: Alyssa Everett

Publisher: Dorchester Publishing

Publication Date: April 2012

Genre: Adult Historical Romance

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book One

Synopsis can be found here.
NetGalley Review.


Review:
Murder! Scandal! Dukes and Dutchesses! Footmen and Blackmail! You will find all this and more when you read A Tryst With Trouble.

I am not a fan of bodice ripping, Regency romances, so I wasn't sure what I would find. But the Read Now Sleep Later girls Alethea and Thuy were so into it, they promised me I'd enjoy it.
And they were not lying! WOW!

Barbara and Ben, two very stubborn and clever people, are thrown together in an investigation when a neighbor's footman is murdered outside of Barbara's door. I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say that both characters have family members riding on the verdict. They are forced to work together, even though they don't like each other at all. You hear that? At. All. Well, ok, maybe a little.

The story bounces from Barbara's narration to Ben's, creating hilarious situations and misunderstandings. Barbara is smart, beautiful and has a strong bite on her that I love in a heroine. Her cutting remarks and quick wit made me laugh out loud a few times. Ben is smart, stubborn and pretty much in over his head when he agrees to help Barbara find the real murderer. His cool exterior quickly dissolves to find him a nervous, out of sorts, awkward young man who doesn't know what to do with this cool headed woman.

Everett plays the characters perfectly. Both Ben and Barbara were well thought out, deeply emotional characters who I loved reading about- from their own perspectives as well as seeing the other through their eyes. I loved the language and the setting. I was transformed back to that time. And a couple of times, my heart broke.

There were so many fun twists and turns in the plot, I wasn't sure who was evil and who was good! Everyone looked suspicious to me. So much fun! I am tempted to read it all over again, just to enjoy the banter.

Rating 10 One of The Best

2 comments:

  1. yay! i loved this book. ben and barbara are awesome sauce. i wish they would have more sleuthing adventures together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think if we get enough people to pre-order it (that said, it's supposed to already be out, but I hear the publisher is having issues) that they will actually release it? I super-need a copy!!! Even though I have it in eBook format...

    ReplyDelete