home about archive

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Book Review: Succubus On Top by Richelle Mead

Title: Succubus On Top

Author: Richelle Mead

Publisher: Kensington

Publication Date: January 2008

Genre: Adult Fantasy

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book Two


Succubus Blues (book one) review can be found here.
Synopsis can be found here.


Review:
At the end of the first book, perhaps you were thinking something similar to what I was-Wait, what happens next?
Do. Not. Fret! my fellow Georgina fans because hooray! Book two is already out! (and has been out for sometime) Sometimes, that’s the best part of discovering a series that has been out a while- No. Waiting! (I may not be patient. Just sayin’.)

We follow our dear succubus into another one of her conflicts. Her good friend from, like forever ago, and I do mean like forever, Bastien, an incubus, has shown up in Seattle and has an assignment from his bosses he must complete. Enter in Georgina, friend and all around softy who will help him seduce the stiff and cold Dana, using any means necessary. Bastien is not very interesting. He's arrogant and this storyline wasn't as engaging as I wanted it to be.

At the same time, something is going on with her friend Doug, whose new band has become the IT band. And while Georgina is happy with this new change, something just doesn’t seem quite right…

And of course there’s Seth. It’s hard being in love with a mortal when you’re a creature of hell. I’m not here to judge. That storyline takes on some interesting twists, not all of them positive for the couple. Mead does a wonderful job keeping her readers on her toes with the romance. All the characters roam freely in the gray area of love, life and fault. Did this push Georgina and Seth’s romance forward? I’ll say it did. There were bound to be issues with this potential couple, and book two tosses them out into the harsh light of day.

Looking back at the novel, it’s probably my least favorite in the series. I enjoyed it while I was reading it, but as the series went on, Mead’s stories became far more engaging. And her writing strengthened too. Book two is still a fun time and shouldn’t be cast aside, but if you’re not enthralled by the end of it, don’t worry. The following books make up for it. And book one was so much fun, I found it a hard one to follow.

And can I just make another note on the covers of these?
They are not my favorites and I feel like they may do an injustice to the series. In my head, Georgina does not look like this model. (The UK editions have some cool looking covers.) Ok. I'm done now.

Rating 7 Pretty Cool, Would Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment