home about archive

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book Review: Thief of Always by Clive Barker

Title: Thief of Always

Author: Clive Barker

Publisher: Harper

Publication Date: 1992
 
Genre: Young Adult Horror

Series or Stand Alone: Stand Alone
Synopsis can be found here.


Review: 


Sometimes, it is too good to be true.

A boy named Harvey is bored with his life and is lured by a stranger to the Holiday House. Holiday House is full of magic, where seasons change daily, Halloween and Christmas are celebrated every day and there are many wonderful other children to play with. And of course, nothing is as it seems. See, Holiday House has a secret, a thief of always, who takes something more precious than any of these children could have imagined. And Mr. Hood…. oh I won’t spoil it.

This was my first Clive Barker book, and still one of my favorites. I can still remember pulling the mass market paperback blue cover with irredescent writing. I have since updated my version to the most recent trade paperback. Make no mistake, this is one that I have re-read and still enjoyed. I’ll be telling my kids to read this story, when they’re old enough.

Because it is creepy.

Fast paced, excellent writing, the story grabs you from the beginning and doesn’t let go. Harvey is brave and intelligent and has to grow up quickly to become a leader once he figures out what Holiday House is all about. His character develops into someone more than just a kid, and you find yourself rooting for him. But there are no perfect happy endings with Barker. And the images and haunting story stayed with me years later.

Enjoy your time at Holiday House. From a safe distance.


Rating 10 One of The Best

No comments:

Post a Comment