home about archive

Monday, July 9, 2012

Book Review: I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

Title: I Hunt Killers

Author: Barry Lyga

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Publication Date: April 2012

Genre: Young Adult Fiction/Thriller

Series or Stand Alone: Series, Book One
Synopsis can be found here.

Review:
Alright, I have a confession. I have some sick, morbid fascination with serial killers. I don't want to be one. I don't want to meet one. But if there is a show, on say A&E, Discovery, or any of those other stations that showcase True Crime documentaries, I will stop whatever I'm doing and watch it. It's real life horror, something you can't tear away from.
That is what reading I Hunt Killers is like.

Jazz's father is Billy Dent, now in prison for the rest of his life for the murders of over 100 men and women. Jazz lives with his mentally deteriorating grandmother and tries to shake his darker urges by forming attachments to Connie, his girlfriend and his best friend Howie.

But when murders start happening in his small town, what are the odds that another serial killer has moved in? Could it be Jazz isn't much different than his father?

The book asks the question: are we who are parents are. How much do we inherit from our families, and how much free will or choice do we have in the end.

Lyga does a wonderful job writing about Jazz, his darkest secrets and self loathing personality. His constant need for redemption not only for his own horrible thoughts but also for the sins committed by his father. A complex character, I was fascinated by Jazz and his journey, and which way he was going to go.
Howie is the comic relief best friend who is sweet and very funny. Jazz and Howie's dialogue is quick and relaxed, as best friends should be.

The story is dark, moves quickly and poses deeply sinister questions about character, nature and hunter vs. prey. Knowing you are higher on the food chain, knowing you could do it and get away with it, would you? And what would that mean?
There were a couple of things I found unbelievable, but they didn't hinder my appreciation of the story.

Not for the faint of heart, I Hunt Killers is a dark tale. Worth checking out.

Rating 7 Pretty Cool Would Recommend

6 comments:

  1. Such a great review Kimmy! I LOVED this book and I'm the same as you when it comes to true crime shows. When I'm at work, I read about the different serial killers and their methods and what-not. It is fascinating. I can't wait to read the next book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal! :)
      Yeah, it's sorta like you can't stop watching those shows. You just have to know what happens! I scared myself the other night watching this other true crime show. Couldn't get to sleep after it!

      Delete
  2. Really looking forward to this one! Thanks for sharing the excellent review. :) I also have a bit of a morbid fascination with serial killers xD. That and Law & Order: SVU...which my husband is CONSTANTLY complaining about - "how can you watch that crap?!" But then he turns around and watches all the seasons of Dexter. :) Haha. Anyway, thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      I love Dexter. I haven't read the books but I am totally in love with the TV series. Thanks for commenting Randi!

      Delete
  3. you know i love the creepy stuff, too. i thought this book was really interesting and had a really unique point of view. and i love howie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I have this on audio. I really need to get back to listening to them at work... :/ It's too distracting lately.

    ReplyDelete